2008 us presidential election

My parents are American but I grew up overseas. Can I vote?

My Mom’s American, but I grew up abroad.

Overseas voting is easy, but there’s one grey area. And this is it: children of US citizens who have never lived in the US.

A number of states — 17 at last count — clearly allow such children to vote using the last address of their American parent(s). The rest of the states are silent. They don’t say one way or the other. So, what should you do?

Go to VoteFromAbroad.org and request an absentee ballot using the voting address of your American parent(s). In the comments section, explain your situation. Wait a couple of weeks and call to see if they received and accepted your request.

If they refuse it, let Vote From Abroad know. Recently, one such voter was refused a ballot in New Hampshire. Democrats Abroad stepped in and New Hampshire has now changed its policy!

Contact: votercentral@democratsabroad.org

You may also like...


  1. What if one of your parents has lived in the US a very long time ago?

  2. If your parents are American adn they lived in the US a long time ago, you should be good to go. Email this question to: votercentral@democratsabroad.org to find out for sure.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.